Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?
At that time, I babysat for a friend 2-3 days a week. On my way to her house that morning, I sat through the drive-thru at McDonald's waiting for my sausage biscuit when I first heard the news. I honestly don't even remember if I ever got the biscuit. I looked in the backseat at my precious little Cole & began trembling. When I arrived at my friend's house, I found out that her brother & sister-in-law both worked in WTC buildings & she was unable to reach them. With our local military base, our city's law enforcement & emergency services were put on high alert. And of course, it was a day that Ryan was on shift. I know that I was never shook to my core like I was that day & the days that followed.
Ryan took a great interest in reading books about the actual firefighters who lost their lives that day. I ended up reading each & every one of those books too. And I still cry just thinking about some of the stories written about their lives & the precious loved ones they left behind. Today I pray peace for each & every one of them.
It is still hard for me to see images or to dwell on memories of that day. I choose to think about the way that our country came together. How proud we all were to be Americans! People would go up to thank or even hug soldiers, firefighters & police officers. It seems much of that has been forgotten. I pray that we never forget! Never forget the lives lost, the lives changed forever, the firefighters who continued to search the pile & the nightmares they must still have 9 years later, the pride we all felt to be Americans and the soldiers who stand ready in our own country & around the world to protect all of us. And most importantly I pray that we never forget that our hope in God is what sustained us!
In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you. ~Psalm 33:21-22


1 comment:
well stated! How our hearts fainted as we heard, watched, and each of us in our own way experienced the event that forever changed our lives and those who come after us---a new era was forced upon us, but not one that caught God off-guard. Thankfully, He is our high tower, never to be brought down or removed!
Post a Comment